Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Speed work in disguise

Since I won't be able to make it to the track on Wednesday, I decided to do a modified speed workout today. After 2 miles to the top of Old Concord Road, I set my timer for 3 minutes, cruised down about 2/3 of the hill, and then did a 10X 3 minute hill repeat workout, 3 hard up, 3 coast down. The first few were pretty tough, and at about 5 I wasn't too sure I'd make them all. But thank God for the light at the end of the tunnel. When I made it to 8 I knew I could grunt out the last 2. It's amazing how hard a workout can be, but when it's over, you feel more energized. I think this was comparable to the 'Yasso 800s', and that's what I'm planning for one workout in the next 2 weeks, to check overall fitness. If I can keep them between 3:05 and 3:10, I think that will translate to a 3:15-3:20 marathon.
And a big congratulations to Andy McCarron. Boston Bib numbers came out this week, and he's about 1040 or so, which is about as low as you can get, and about 10,000 below me. Great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment